Sunday, January 28, 2007

Down The Road Less Travelled

It was a dark and stormy night, but that was not today.
I get off the bus, hardly looking forward to the perilous and ominous journey home. The moment I depart the comfort and peace of my aforementioned mode of transport, I realise something different. The air is dry and cool, not to mention saturated with the occasional gust of wind. My pace slows down. Cars rush by, quick as ever, only to get stopped by the traffic light. The green man bids me hello, and I return the greeting. Behind me I hear the wind grabbing reality and making a break for it. I smile. For once I don't look back, because the journey to come beckons me more. I see a man taking his dog for a run. I am inspired to do the same, but my memory reminds me of my lack of a canine companion. I watch the glow of the afternoon subside as i walk. I see my destination around the bend. My tired legs gain energy from where ever energy comes from, probably mc squared or something, and they take me forward. Just before my destination, a path catches my eye. I wonder why. It tells me why by showing me.



I think that maybe I should sit right here for half an hour. But I decide against it. Such seats were built for those who need them. I see more joggers, covering hundreds of centimeters in a single stride. Surely we don't always have to be going somewhere?



Such is the view from here, but there is no one here to enjoy it. Maybe I am. But that is all. I decide to take the view with me for you. Maybe you'll enjoy it to.



I look down. I see life.



And I think of the life to come.


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost

viewed from here,
2'2"

3 comments:

euns said...

i see you made it thru ur oral commentary? :)

well done, my boy!

2'2" said...

haha i hope i survive the 15 minutes for the real ib one O.o

euns said...

hahaha u will! come on, with all this writing/thinking practice ur getting by blogging, u'll do just fine. if u really wanna make sure, u can recite the stuff u blog. haha ok now tt really din make sense. but it's ok...i'm sure u will for the real ib one. haha